Saturday, June 1, 2013

Minimalism for maximum living



I have been giving a lot of thought lately on changes in my life to make it more manageable. Here are some of the ideas I have come up with.

I.                   Since I have had to downsize on living space I am getting rid of stuff that I never use or look at. Storage seems to such a waste. I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to memory stuff.

II.                 I would love to live in a beautiful setting by the beach or up in a forest type setting somewhere. So to afford this without having to be a slave to debt, I am looking at smaller house plans.

III.              I am making plans and searching out how to build a career on line.

 

So much has been happening as of late and I have had a lot of thinking to do. See about one year ago now I hurt my back at work and was down for about three months. This forced me to quit my job. I was able to go back to the same company later on once my back healed. This caused me to start revaluating what I want to do for a career so I will not ever go through that again. I had to go through the cortisone shot thing and that was not fun at all.

This year April 1st my Mother passed away. Now we have a Father who is not taking that well at all to try to help get through this while we maintain ourselves. By we, I mean my siblings and spouses ect…

This has caused me to rethink the whole work until you retire bit and putting off life now so you will have something later. My father is and has always worked full time and he is in his 70’s.

This does not mean that I want to stop working or saving for the future. It means I am looking at how I want to spend my life and how I can make money while enjoying life with those I love.

I want to be able to travel and see things and not be stuck to having to stay in one location to make money that only gives us two weeks a year vacation if we are lucky.

I started looking into going back to school and am finding colleges cost way too much for the kinds of salaries you can start out with. Taking on that much more debt seems like a very bad idea indeed.

In my frustration I have been on line searching and taking some for fee courses that I could pay for with cash.

I am coming up with some ideas on how to get a business going on line and stumbled across videos on Youtube about minimalist living and living in small places, houses ect…

My ideas now are to get rid of unnecessary stuff and I am looking at furniture that converts rooms from offices to bedrooms and using small rooms in multiple ways. I have found furniture for instance where you can take a small window table and convert it into a long dining table when you want to throw a dinner party.

The goal for me is to get rid of all unnecessary things. This means actual physical stuff and cleaning out emails and downsizing what I am signed up for so my email folder does not get unmanageable. Anything I can do which I can use to simplify my life so it is easier to get up and go. I do not want to need to be in a place where I am a slave to anything that keeps me working in a job that is not fulfilling my life’s dreams.

It seems to me we get bogged down with all this clutter in our lives trying to fulfill some need that really turns out to be imaginary. Possibly we want to impress someone else with the car we drive or whatever. As I get older I realize that I do not care what most other people think of me and that most people do not think about me at all. Not to sound down on myself or anything at all. It is just that those that I care about love me no matter what I drive or own and are just impressed with me being me. Other people are so caught up in their own lives they really do not think about you at all. They might make fun about something at work but do I really care? They do not pay my bills or have to live with my stress of working just to pay bills.

For now I want to pay off debt, not accumulate any more debt, get rid of clutter of all kinds in my life and live simply. That way I can travel more and spend more time with my spouse.

I will write on this more as I go showing changes made.

No comments:

Post a Comment